Interview with Nitara Reaves

|
                                               What is your name?
 
Maya Nitara Reaves aka “The Songstress”
 
                                               Where are you from?
 
Charlotte, North Carolina
 
                             Have you always been in the music industry?
 
Music has always been a part of my life. I started out at the age of 5years old learning Broadway and show tunes at Ms. Donna’s School of Dance in Charlotte, NC. I have been a lead in more than 20 Praise and Worship teams, including the New Jersey Mass Choir, Greg Hoover & the Charlotte Community Singers, and many others.
 
                     What is your first memory of being inspired by music?
 
My parents embedded in me the love for good music, especially soulful sounds, and music that have meaning. I remember my parents having Spade parties, where their friends would come over and enjoy food and good music. Although I should have been sleeping, I would lie in bed listening to the sounds of the O’Jays, Betty Wright, Millie Jackson, and the Isley Brothers, and pretend to have my own mini concert.
 
                    When did you realize you could actually do this as a career?
 
Music has always been my first love. I remember signing up to perform Mahalia Jackson’s “Sometimes I feel Like a Motherless Child” for an assembly program during Black History Month. I was not sure what to expect from my peers, but I wanted to share the song that was in my heart. To my surprise, after I finished my song there was a dead silence, as I place the microphone back on its stand, there came a roar from the crowd that made me realize that not only could I sing but people actually liked my voice.
 
 
                           What was the inspiration behind All Thru the night?

During a late night session at the studio, I started to developed writers block. I decided to take a short break, so I put a little of my favorite music on to relax. Gerald LeVert came through my speakers, and started to speak to me. I began to wonder, “If Gerald was a woman how he would complete this track? After a few moments of deep thought, I took those thoughts and wrote and recorded All Thru the Night in one session.

                              How would you classify-if you can-your music?

I would say my music has a combination of several music genres; to be exact I would say it is R&B with a taste of Soul and a touch of sweet aggression. I have a unique mature soulful sound that many have said to have a blend of flavor such as R. Kelly, Betty Wright, Lalah Hathaway, Angie Stone, Gerald LeVert, and Millie Jackson. This is a combination sure to stir the soul and set the mind on fire.


                                              Who is your inspiration?

I love me some Gerald LeVert; however, I must admit most of my songs comes from real life experiences; whether they are experiences that I have encountered personally or those of close friends and family members. I believe there is a song in everything we do, its finding the words to express and vividly paint a picture through lyrics.

                                     Where do you hope to be by 2012?

My dream is to be an International Artist; globally known for promoting love and sensuality through music.

                            What's the best piece of advice you have received?

The best piece of advice would be to protect your music, and never sign any contracts without legal representation.

                What advice would you give to other musicians trying to get off the ground?

Make sure that you have researched the person or company thoroughly that will be representing you. Their image or business dealings could bring a negative light on you as an Artist or possibly have you music tied up in so much red tape that it is shelved, and never released. You want someone that will always have your best interest at heart, has knowledge of the Industry, and understands the meaning of loyalty.

 
                                          Where can we buy your music?

Album will be released in July 2011, and you will be able to find me on iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby,and www.vyzion-ent.com
                                    Do you have any last words or shot outs?
Of course I want to thank you, Gamedup Magazine for taking the time out for an interview. Crystal Coxton of Checkmate Management, I thank you for seeing my potential and believing in me or my dream, and continued to push through the pull without hesitations.  To my record label, Vyzion Entertainment, thank you for showing me that without a clear vision there is no direction. Also I would like to send a special shout out to Demetrius Richardson (D-Rich) and Brandon Coxton (Play DoE) two very special and talented Artist from the Queen City, thank you for adding your southern swagger and lyrics, Dean Walker with 2A Photography, and most of to my children Jazz, Symphony, and Stix Reaves the youngest producer, for being my soul supporters. This album’s success could not be possible if I did not have the people listed above. Thank you again. 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment